GCI Relay – The Gist.
This year marks the 2nd annual Gulf Coast Interstate Relay. This event is two races in one weekend – a cycling relay and a running relay. It’s the largest relay in the South and one of two in the country to cross four states. Cyclists and runners will be completing the same course – 263 miles from New Orleans, LA to Pensacola Beach, FL.
- Dates: April 4, 5 & 6 2014
- Teams: You can be on a cycling team OR a running team, but not both. It’s run or ride.
- Race Course: The course is 263 miles from New Orleans to Pensacola Beach. Total ascent of 2,126 feet and maximum elevation of 233 feet. Lots of beach and back country roads. Over 22 bridges!
The GCI Relay start is in New Orleans, Louisiana, Lakefront at the South Shore Harbor Marina. The route heads east along Lakeshore Drive, over the Seabrook Bridge and to HWY 90, taking your team outta town and on to Mississippi!
View Start Map →
Cycling relay teams:
- Teams can be 1-6 people.
- Start Saturday April 5 at 4:00-6:00AM
- Learn more about riding the relay
- Cycling team scenarios
Running relay teams:
- Teams can be 6 or 12 people.
- Teams must average a 10 minute/mile pace or faster
- Teams will start in waves either Friday early evening, April 4 or Saturday morning, April 5
- Learn more about running the relay
- Running team scenarios
The relay finish is in Pensacola Beach, Florida, Oceanfront on by the Pensacola Visitor Information Center and the Sandshaker Lounge. Sandwiches, booze and music Saturday evening, Big party and awards ceremony Sunday afternoon.
View Finish Map →
- All teams will finish between 4:00pm-10:30pm Saturday night
- All teams will finish before 1:00pm Sunday, April 6
What’s in between?
4 states – 263 miles!
- Mostly Lake bridges and swampland in Louisiana
- Beachfront through Mississippi (Gulfport, Biloxi, Pascagoula)
- Mostly wide-open country roads through Alabama, except for the trek through the City of Mobile and over the Cochrane Bridge
- 15 miles of country rode in Florida, through downtown Pensacola for a finish on Pensacola Beach
- Check out the full relay course map