GCI Relay – The Gist.
This year marks the 3rd annual Gulf Coast Interstate Relay. This event is two races in one weekend – a cycling relay and a running relay. It’s the largest relay in the South and one of two in the country to cross four states. Cyclists and runners will be completing the same course from New Orleans, LA to Pensacola, FL.
- Dates: April 3-4, 2015
- Teams: You can be on a cycling team OR a running team, but not both. It’s run or ride.
- Race Course: The course is 234 miles from New Orleans to Pensacola. Total ascent of 2,126 feet and maximum elevation of 233 feet. Lots of beach and back country roads. Over 22 bridges!
The GCI Relay start is in New Orleans, Louisiana. The route heads east along HWY 90, taking your team outta town and on to Mississippi!
View Start Map →
Cycling relay teams:
Running relay teams:
- Teams can be 6 or 12 people.
- Teams must average a 10 minute/mile pace or faster
- Teams will start in waves on Friday
- Learn more about running the relay
- Running team scenarios
The relay finish is going to be at Florabama, 17401 Perdido Key Dr, Pensacola, FL 32507. Booze, music, and the finish line on Saturday evening.
View Finish Map →
- All teams will finish between Saturday evening
- All teams will finish Saturday evening
What’s in between?
4 states – 234 miles!
- Mostly Lake bridges and swampland in Louisiana
- Beachfront through Mississippi (Gulfport, Biloxi, Pascagoula)
- Mostly wide-open country roads through Alabama, except for the trek through the City of Mobile and over the Cochrane Bridge
- Check out the full relay course map